Wednesday, February 24, 2010

SBG's Top 10 Beers

I have been asked many times, “What are your favorite beers?” so I have decided to answer this question in a public forum.


1. Triple Karmeliet - I like this one because it is flavorful and crisp. It has just the right hint of spices to appeal to your pallet, but does not overwhelm you will sweetness.


2. Peche Mortel - I love this complex but well balanced rich and creamy mocha flavored brew. It has a great “mouthfeel”. I hate that term, but it really holds true for why I love the Peche Mortel. If you have ever had a milk shake you know what I am talking about. When you drink a milk shake the flavors (like the vanilla syrup) coat and linger in your mouth – leaving you with a really pleasant experience. The Peche Mortel coffee and chocolate (and I don’t know why I taste it – but banana) linger in your mouth for a while.

3. Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus - Sour and pink how could you go wrong? LOL – the Gambrinus has an intense fruity sourness with a clean finish. You can not only taste the raspberries, but the farm they came from – what some people may call “earth tones”. To me it tastes like a farm – in a good way. ;)


4. Rochefort 10 – To me, this is the quintessential example of a traditional Trappist beer. Rochefort 10 pours out of the bottle this rich dark color, and immediately fills your glass/nose with sweet raisins and dates, bready yeast, malty goodness, and just the right hint of spices. This beer has been brewed for generations with love – and you can taste it. Yummy!!


5. Anything Ommegang – I love them, I love them I love them.
a. Rouge – for funkyness
b. Hennepin – for a farmhouse Saison
c. Ommegang – Toasted malt and big sweet taste


6. Lost Abby – Bourbon-Barrel Angle’s Share – “oh my this is good” is what I thought the first time I had this beer. Served and looks like a bourbon, but tastes like a finely-crafted beer. It has a unique oak, caramel, and vanilla topped off with a bit of heat from the alcohol. On a cold winter night, when you want something to sip – this is a super pick.


7. Czechvar – Even though this beer is now owned by InBev I still love it. It is clean, crisp, and refreshing. It can quench your thirst like no sports drink could ever do. It is an all-rounder beer. Watch out, because of the green bottle it can be skunked from time to time. However I would say 85% of the time it is fine.



8. La Chouffe – I know I am bias when it comes to Chouffe as I spent my honeymoon in A’Chouffe – but that is only because I love the beer so much. La Chouffe is a light-bodied, easy to drink, Belgium Pale Ale that has an amazing finish because it leaves you wanting more. Be careful though, it is deceptively strong and can knock off your socks if you are not careful because it leaves you wanting more. This beer is so good I named my cat Chouffe.


9. St. Peters English Ale - I know this has a bad wrap on Beer Advocate, however this golden ale to me has wonderful fruity and floral hops with a true taste of caramel malt. I love caramel malt. I eat it raw sometimes. It is hard to find a beer that promotes Vs. hides this base malt – and I love it.

10. Russian River's Pliny the Elder – HOPS – what else can I say. JK. This big hopped IPA will not disappoint. It is dry with a crisp hoppy bite. It is rated as the top IPA in the US, and deserves the recognition.








Alternate - Fullers ESB – on Cask – I put this on the list, because to me Fullers ESB in bottles is OK, on cask – it is amazing. Fullers ESB makes me feel like I am experiencing England. Not only modern England, but the England of the last few hundred years. When I sample Fullers ESB (on cask) I remember my past trips and reminisce vicariously through the beer itself. It moved me so much that it prompted me to take a trip to the UK. I am not going to describe the flavors but simply say – you have to try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment