Monday, February 1, 2010

Ebenezer's Vs. Lion's Pride, Funky Buddha Vs. The Office

I realize that it has been a while, and I need to catch up.

Here is my recap of the last few weeks.

Went to Maine in December, but did not go to Ebenezer’s. However I did go to the Lion’s Pride (Brunswick, ME) – IT SUCKED. I had such high expectations and it totally flopped. All the warmth, energy, and passion that makes you dive way the heck out of the way to Lovell Maine (that is where Eb’s is located) is gone. Food there is just mediocre. Staff there is a bit lack luster. If they do know about beer, they were not sharing their knowledge with the customers. Even the bartender there did not want to chat. I can not tell you how many times I have been to Ebenezer’s and had Chris (the owner) convince me to buy an expensive bottle of beer – and to be honest – I was happy to do it. They were always great. It is also a real pity that the awesome brewing equipment displayed in the back of the brew house is not being used. It is not even hooked up, it is a glorified closet. I can’t believe that this got an A+ review on Beer Advocate. Yes, they do have a beautiful tap system, and a couple of fridges full of nice bottled beer – that does not make it a good bar. However I do have confidence in Chris and Jennifer that they can make the Lion’s Pride a success. They just need to bring out the spirit of the place.

On a brighter note, I was on a trip to Boca Raton Florida and found an awesome little bar called the Funky Buddha Lounge. The atmosphere was super comfortable, people were friendly and knowledgeable, and the beer menu was Awesome. Their description of Bud Light was great - "St. Louis Water, with a hint of beer flavor. If you still want it after reading the rest of the menu it will cost you $30" I had a Lost Coast tangerine wheat beer. It was awesome. It is my 2nd favorite fruit beer - after the Ithaca Apricot Ale. This to me deserves an A+ rating on Beer Advocate.

Also on our trip to Florida we went to a new restaurant called The Office in Delray Beach. You would not believe what we found. They claimed to have “Chimay Grand Reserve” (so Chimay Blue) on tap. That is impossible. NOBODY in the US has it on tap. The description was also for the Blue. It could have only been the Red or White. So I asked the bartender if it was Red or White and here is what she said “well the tap handle is Red, so probably Red”. It was White.

I was in Baltimore the other day, but did not have anything besides a Yuengling – a great beer.

We also had a few more brew sessions and made some more great beer.

So those are some of the highlights of the last few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment