Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Latest Beer Advocate Magazine – Beer in Review – My take on - All-Time Top Beers On Planet Earth


As there are 6 main categories for this year’s review, so I will make this a series of blogs so as not to bore you.

So let’s start with the #1 - All-Time Top Beers On Planet Earth. First let me lament of the fact that 10 out of the 25 beers listed were Imperial Stouts. I understand that those are complex beers, but there are other styles that are not even on the list. IE Lambics, Flemish Sours, Pilsners, etc – that if you have ever done any brewing yourself you know are in their own right complex. I could, and probably will soon make my own list. So I am a bit disappointed in the lack of variety.

Topping the BA charts is Westvleteren 12 – that is not a shock, but a bit of a disappointment. I think it is a great beer, but the top beer on the planet – I am not sure I would agree. I do agree with many of their other choices including – Pliny the Elder, Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout, Rochefort 10, St. Bernadus Abt 12 (which I think is comparable to the Westvleteren 12, but 1/5 the price), and my #1 off this list Dieu Du Ciel’s Peche Mortel. Oh what a great beer that is. Even though I was sick the last time I went to Montreal, I had to go to Dieu Du Ciel and get a Peche!

I do think that others on the list are quite good, but I would not put as All-Time Top Beer On Planet Earth.

I will admit that I have some of the beers listed, yet. Such as Dreadnaught IPA, Bell’s HopSlam Ale (although I have had many other Bell’s like their Two Hearted – that should have been on this list), Masala Mama IPA, and Darness by Surley Brewing Company. So I can’t comment on those.

All in all, it is not a horrible list, but one that should be scrutinized a bit more before dissing some very wonderful styles.

Be on the lookout for my top beers!

1 comment: