Friday, February 5, 2010

Beer Advocate's Most-Wanted Beers - SBGs Take




Well the #1 most wanted is of course Portsmouth Brewery's Kate the Great. Every beer geek that does not live in the area always asks about Kate The Great. It’s not that I don’t like Kate The Great or that I don’t like the beer, but to be honest, I think it is just a good beer. However, I am really happy about Kate The Great's status because I am planning on going to Kate the Great day, and buying my allotted 2 beers, holding on to them for a few months and sell them at a profit. So if you are looking for some Kate in September time frame, let me know. LOL ;)

There were a few I was surprised about.
1. Coming in second was the Russian River Dark Lord not surprising, but the fact that it beat Westvleteren 12 is a shocker.
2. Another one that shocked me was Older Viscosity. Not that it was on the list, but that people wanted it so bad. I see it all the time. I tend to frequent places that specialize in beer so I understand why I thought it readily available to everyone.
3. The third one that surprised me was the Great Lakes Barrel-Aged Blackout Stout. I love Great Lakes, if it was readily available here I would drink it more often. So, I was not surprised to see the brewery, but I was surprised that it was not their Christmas Ale. Although their Christmas beer is readily available during the holiday season, once they are out, they are out and almost impossible to find. This beer is so good that it prompted a new holiday song. Check it out – 25,000 hits on the video – it is so funny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kwF-TvMi_Q
4. Again Brewery on the list – this time Bell’s – not surprising - but HopSlam Ale Vs. Two Hearted – that I question.

I am not surprised that Pliny the Younger beat Pliny the Elder. Most beer geeks have probably tried Elder not Younger. I myself have not sampled the Younger – yet.

I do see a couple of themes; people really like Russian River, and I need to search out more beers.

All-in-all I don’t disagree with the Most-Wanted Beers of 2010 list.

No comments:

Post a Comment